Mental health as a component of health
Mens sana in corpora sana. A healthy mind in a healthy body has
always been the epitome for a healthy living. It holds as much value today as hundreds of years ago.
Sometimes when life stressors occur its hard to keep emotional stability and often professional help
is needed. Today psychiatry is considered as much a medical field as any other and therapy and
medications have scientifically proven to make a difference in a persons well being and quality of life.
Emotional problems v/s psychiatric disease: Emotional problems are as much a part of ill health as psychiatric illnesses. Emotional problems like adjustment disorders, stress at work and home, parental or spouse pressures, financial of physical illhealth lead to emotional worries and often breakdowns if not on time.
Common emotional problems include:
- Children – school phobias, temper tantrums, night mares, defiant behavior
- Women : stress at home or workplace, premenstrual or menopausal changes
- Men: conflicts at workplace or home, break ups, sexual problems, substance use
These often need counseling, a few sessions of therapy, psychological testing and occasionally medications Apart from above problems we also provide services for psychiatric illnesses like:
Illnesses managed include:
• Schizophrenia and mood disorders including depression
• Addiction disorders including alcohol, cannabis, cocaine, opioids and synthetic drugs
• Adjustment disorders (including relationship problems, marital issues, family conflicts)
• Dementia and cognitive problems
• Anxiety disorders (includes phobias, anxiety, panic disorders, PTSD)
• Somatoform disorders( pain disorders, hypochondriasis, conversion disorders)
• Personality disorders
• Sexual disorders
• Children and adolescent problems like developmental problems, behavior problems, hyperactivity, phobias, bedwetting, teenage crisis, bullying and defiant disorders.